Friday, July 8, 2011

Dear Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm With You. Sincerely, Me

I can still remember the exact moment when I became a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.  And I mean a diehard this is the band of my generation fan.  I was in college and we decided to head to New Orleans for their annual Voodoo Music Experience Festival.  I had been an avid listener of RHCP’s music for a while and was excited to see them perform.  It was the last show of the night and after a day full of excitement (and beer) I decided a bathroom break was much needed before they took the stage.  As I hovered over the vast pit that was the toilet in this port-o-john, in the pitch black mind you, I felt a wet sensation running down my leg.  Needless to say by the time I was done I had voided all over my American Eagle blue jeans.  As I made my way back to my friend in front of the stage with my wet jeans chaffing the entire way, I heard John Frusciante play that first chord and I immediately realized I was going to have to wait until this was over to change myself.  Well, it was WORTH every cold moist moment.  The show was like no other I had ever seen before.  There was an energy that carried throughout the entire crowd an electricity that everyone felt.  I walked away from that show a diehard, carrying the banner Chili Peppers' fan and even completely forgot that I had urinated on myself.  Well done RHCP.

From their very first self titled debut in 1984 to their last studio album Stadium Arcadium in 2006 the RHCP have managed to constantly evolve while still maintaining who they are as a band.  Not an easy task.  With Josh Klinghoffer now on guitar (and joining the writing process) and Flea’s new found musical interest in piano (after taking classes at USC) we are certain to see more of this evolution in their upcoming album I'm With You.  But with Rick Rubin behind the production wheel it is a sure fire bet it will still have that RHCP feel that made us fall in love with them in the first place.  I can't wait, because well...I'm a fan.

First single “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie” expected release on July 18th.

Album Release I’m With You on August 30th

For a full track listing and more information click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment